Performance for glyphs with many points

• I’ve been working on a distressed handwriting font and have noticed that point counts over 50 slow down the app into unusability. That is without Space Center open. Point removal often shows the ghost of whatever I just removed. I am reconsidering every part of this project at this point, it is that slow.

This is on a MacBook Pro Retina 13", latest public release on Mountain Lion, 10.8.4.

• admin

good you found it!

"printing" a traceback is very costly, but handy so you know what went wrong

• It seems that the stencilPreview script was causing some other problems, actually. I did not notice this with more common point counts, but it became hugely problematic above 50. There was no stencil layer, and I wasn’t trying to stencil a handwritten font, but it was causing a mess. Removed it and got much better performance.

• Interestingly, when I try to select outlines (Command-Shift + drag) the output window tells me

Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "lib/eventTools/editingTool.pyc", line 194, in _mouseDown
      File "lib/eventTools/editingTool.pyc", line 330, in mouseDownSingleClick
      File "lib/eventTools/editingTool.pyc", line 231, in mouseDownMagicContourSelection
      File "lib/fontObjects/doodleSelection.pyc", line 509, in addContour
      File "/Applications/RoboFont.app/Contents/Resources/lib/python2.7/defcon/objects/glyph.py", line 342, in __getitem__
    IndexError: list index out of range

• admin

weird, it should not become any noticeable slower (only when you have a massive amount of points, just did a quick test with a 1000 point glyph)

what kind of extensions do you have installed?
    are there tracebacks in the output window?
    are there logs in the console.app?