SOLVED Robofont remote scripting seems to expect python 2 to be the main system python?

• I'm setting up a new computer.

When I go to install the robofont remote scripting tools, then test them, I get the following error:

▶ robofont -h
      File "/usr/local/bin/robofont", line 35
        print helpText
                     ^
    SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print(helpText)?

To me, this indicates that RoboFont is probably using Python 2 for the remote scripting, and my system is trying to run it with python 3. I believe this is because I installed Python3 with homebrew, which sets python to call py3.

Is the assumption correct that robofont scripting expects python 2? If so, I assume I need to go set my system to point the python command at a python2 installation, and only call python3 with python3.

I did try to set up python as a bash alias for /usr/bin/python2.7, but this didn't prevent the error.

If anyone has any suggestions about a good way to do solve this, I'd be very happy to learn a good path!

• admin

Oh yeah, I’ve already changed this in the RF3.3 beta... soon!!

• Oh I noticed this the other day too, the roboFontShell file seems to be written in py2. No?

• I'm on a fresh computer and setting things up manually (not from a Time Machine backup, etc), so RoboFont 3 Version 3.2 (build 1901211134) is the only version I've ever had on here.

I tried to de-install, then install again, but I'm getting the same error as before.

▶ robofont -h
      File "/usr/local/bin/robofont", line 35
        print helpText
                     ^
    SyntaxError: Missing parentheses in call to 'print'. Did you mean print(helpText)?

• admin

could you re-install the robofont shell command?

I guess you still have the RF1 somewhere around