Round only on-curve points to grid

• I think it would be nice to have an option to only restrict on-curve points to the upm grid, allowing curve control handles to be positioned freely.

I usually want stems of a defined (integer) width, but want full precision when adjusting curve handles so the curves can flow smoothly and control handles can keep an exact angle. Restricting only on-curve points to the grid would IMO be a worthy compromise.

• admin

And to reply to your first questions (different rounding behavior for off curves) :

This is maybe useful when the offcurves aren't extreme points and the bcp length is rather small (1-2 units). In all other cases, where the points are placed at extreme points this is not really an issue.

• admin

Haven't tested this out. The main issue which rasterizer is supporting floats. During development this was possible but the binary fonts freaked out in lots of cases.

Why worry about half a unit? scale up the upm or hint the font properly.
    Otherwise I know RoboFont allows you to draw with floating points.

• Hi Frederik, there seems to be a way to put floating point coordinates in OTFs, because Glyphs does it when you turn off the rounding to upm grid there. I verified with ttx that the font actually contains floating point coordinates, and ttx has no problem decompiling and compiling such a font again.

• admin

floating points in binary fonts is not possible at all :)

• That being said, is it possible at all to generate fonts with floating-point coordinates with Robofont?