UNSOLVED Generating variable fonts, outlines mixed up.

• I made an otherwise working variable font with batch and a designspace file, but the outlines of glyphs got mixed up in the output ttf.
    If the source ufo glyph order is Latin-1 + alphabetical, it works. What am I missing?

• admin

a workaround is already made (will be present in the next RF beta and the upcoming RF4.1)
    the core of the issue is an FDK bug see https://github.com/adobe-type-tools/afdko/issues/1168

• @timotimo I have the same problem. (Big Sur, RF4, Batch, all six source ufos have
    space glyph).

The ttf variable works, but the encoding is scrambled.

• This seems to be a RF4 problem, not a system version problem.

• I think I also had a similar problem. When I make a variable font in RF4 + designspace + batch on the BigSur system, all glyphs in the font are mixed with unicodes. The same assembly in RF3 + designspace + batch on the Mojave gives an excellent result. Until I figured out what affects more - the system version or the RF3 / 4 version, but maybe this will help

• admin

yeah that is complicated... I will make an issue an try to reproduce it.

• My fonts do have space and it's also named space, which seems important. It also has to be the second glyph after .notdef and some other basic glyphs have to follow a certain order, atleast the ones named according to aglfn... My solution is to see what glyph order the compiler put out from a ttx-file, reorder the sources if needed and generate again. A bit complicated though.

• admin

there is a silly thing happening in batch when your source has no space glyph.

This needs to be fixed, but is an edge case cause most ufos have a space glyph.

Hope this resolves your issue.