Exception raise during font generation

• Hi Frederik,

When our code calls "generate" to generate a TrueType font (in RobFont 1.6 build 1410152315),
    we sometimes get the following error :

File "lib/fontObjects/robofabWrapper.pyc", line 3834, in generate
    File "lib/fontObjects/doodleFont.pyc", line 909, in generate
    File "lib/fontObjects/doodleFontCompiler/ttfCompiler.pyc", line 575, in compile
    File "shutil.pyc", line 256, in rmtree
    File "shutil.pyc", line 254, in rmtree
    OSError: [Errno 66] Directory not empty: '/var/folders/vk/6h2qct291rn53wdyxh2wzpw40000gp/T/tmppr3tfd'

It seems a bit weird. I'm not sure if that's a bug in our code in RF.

The path to the temporary directory is not generated by our code, so my guess is that it is generated by RoboFont.

I hope you can take a few minutes to check if there may be some easy-to-fix bug in there? or maybe a workaround.

Thank you,
    Samuel

• admin

I'm aware of that option and this will be implemented, but still there is something wrong with the provided data to the binary ttf compiler...

• Looking at this StackOverflow: http://stackoverflow.com/a/21966211/2037879
    It looks like this error is reported by default upon trying to delete non-empty directory and may be bypassed by setting ignore_errors=True in rmtree parameters.

• admin

weird, shutil.rmtree must be able to remove a directory that is not empty.

but the file size is zero of that compile.otf file

I guess something went wrong while generating, you can print out font.generate(...) to see what or where it failed

good luck!

• By the way, the temporary directory mentioned in the error message still exists after the exception is raised.
    It contains an empty file:

$ ls -l tmppr3tfd
    total 0
    -rw-r--r--  1 username  usergroup  0 Jun 10 13:45 compile.otf